My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Racism is Not Dead

On my travels, I found out that racism is alive and well at the Super 8 in Malvern, Arkansas. I have to admit that this embarrassed and infuriated me because I had hoped in this day and time that society has gotten past this behavior. There have been some little instances in the past that I felt this way but nothing I could say was as blatant as this situation. I was discriminated against at the Super 8 in Malvern, Arkansas one evening when we tried to get a room. I checked the price of the room by phone and on the website and the room was available for $59.99. We decided to just go in person since we were right there but when I walked in, the desk clerk saw me and said it would be $69.99. When I told her about the phone and online price, she told me that the price for the room was $69.99 and that was it. I went back to my car and checked by phone and online again, and the price from both sources was still $59.99. I guess when the clerk saw I was a minority, the price went up.

I sent an email letter of complaint to the Super 8 home offices and they responded to me by email stating that "Super 8 does not own or operate or control this facility" but since they let them use their name I guess they condone discrimination. The motel did call me after they received my complaint and left a message saying that it had been Memorial Day weekend and that is why the rate was higher because the rates were subject to change (I guess she meant after she saw whether I was a minority or not) but if I booked it online or by phone, they were not subject to change. I could still book it at a lower rate by phone or online but I guess the lower rate applied because they didn't see that I was a minority. There could be no other excuse other than flat out discrimination. I was afraid to book it online or by phone at that time because of retribution by the clerk when she found out I got it at a lower price so we left. I felt so degraded and disgusted.

I feel that Super 8 should ensure that customers are not discriminated against by all facilities bearing their name and if that facility does indeed discriminate against minorities, make them remove the Super 8 name. I hope you will keep this in mind when you are considering where you want to spend the night when you are traveling.

Photo credit: racism by roger g1

2 comments:

ArtcTrish said...

I see it quite often since I live in the south. It is sad. I'm sorry for your experience.

Stephani said...

Oh Pat I am so so sorry! That is awful. I will definitely remember that! I can't believe how you were treated. I just can't believe it in this day and age. Good grief. What is this world coming to.