My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Oklahoma and Arkansas 5/22/08


Today was better than yesterday. We went to the Oklahoma City Memorial and it was a heart wrenching place to see. The empty chairs which represent all of the 168 people who died in the bombing really got me choked up. The smaller chairs represented the children that died. Each chair was positioned to represent the floor that they were on when they died plus five chairs for the people that died outside. There was a reflecting pool where the street used to be in front of the federal building and 2 gates on each side with the minute before the bomb and the minute after the bomb. If you ever get to see it, it is pretty moving. We didn’t go into the museum because I just didn’t think I could handle any more depressing thoughts after seeing the memorial so we moved on east.

We did stop in a cute town called Checotah, OK with antique stores and Don was happy finding postcards. I finally bought a couple of books and sat outside on a bench reading and listening to my Ipod. We ate at a cute restaurant called Junes and the waitresses’ shirts read: Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease – June’s restaurant. I had a steak fingers plate which included fries, corn and a salad. Don had something called cowboy stew which he really enjoyed.

After stopping at the Arkansas visitor center, the lady talked us into taking a 3 hr. train ride in Van Buren, then shopping at antique stores in Ft. Smith so we got a hotel room in Ft. Smith. After driving around, we realized that we had made a big mistake. We never did find any antique stores in Ft. Smith and the train ride is $30 per person so we will get up in the morning and head out of town. I’m not sure I trust anything that lady said any more. We did end up going to Ft. Smith National Historic Site which I had never heard of before. It became a famous place about Judge Parker (called the Hanging Judge) in the 1800s and he brought law and order to the west (according to the signs). He sentenced over 160 people to hang here. Here is a picture of the gallows.

I think we will head down a scenic highway towards Hot Springs National Park which I don’t think will take a lot of time. I hope to get some good pictures though. Then we will head towards Little Rock and the Clinton Presidential Library. We have been averaging about 3 hours in each of the Presidential libraries so far so I’m interested in seeing how long this will take.

No comments: