My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Monday, May 19, 2008

Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks 5/18/08

What wonderful parks Kings Canyon and Sequoia are! I love these because they are so much less congested than Yosemite and have awesome views too. At the first Visitor Center (I think Grant Village), they said there were campsites available but I was afraid we would be at the other end of the park when night time came and it would take us 3 hours to get back to our campsite. We first hiked to General Grant which is a huge sequoia.

Then we drove towards the Roads End. The Kings River looked angry and mean but I guess it is because of the raging melting waters from the snow. I wanted to pull off at every wide spot to look at the river and I know Don was probably getting aggravated with me, but he never complained. Then we got to Cedar Grove only to find out the snack bar was closed even though it was 12:00 and the newspaper we got from the entrance station said they were open until 2:00 for lunch. We drove to Grizzly Falls and had lunch which consisted of Triscuits and canned squeeze cheese and fresh cherries and strawberries we bought off the side of the road this morning.

Next we drove down to Hume’s Lake and headed towards Lodgepole Visitor Center. We also saw a movie about Bears in Sequoia. While we were there, I overhead a man tell the lady at the desk he saw a mother bear and 2 cubs so I had to ask where. I was surprised that they were right out behind the Visitor Center so we went to look. The girl said she wasn’t supposed to say anything so I kept it quiet too. They just ignored us and we were far enough away not to pose a threat.

Then we left there and headed to General Sherman (the largest living tree). That was pretty neat too except it was downhill pretty far and then back uphill to the car. Next we went to Tunnel Log where you can drive your car through a log. Thanks to my wonderful husband, he spots a bear right on the side of the road. I took lots of neat photos of him and hope my little video comes out so I can post it on YouTube when I get home. Last we went to Morro Rock and that was awesome! I walked the 400 steps to the stop but Don only made it halfway. The views were fantastic!

By now the sun is preparing to set and we have to hunt for a place to stay. We get to the town of Visalia, CA when we spot a place to rest our heads. Now it is time to rest before another day of adventures. My husband says that after this “epic journey” he is going on vacation and take a cruise! lol

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am enjoying following your adventures. Thanks for sharing. Love your photos.

Alan Lutz said...

I was reliving each moment as I have been there and done that for each spot you mentioned. It is certainly a full day to take in BOTH parks that way. But there is no easy place to stay overnight as you saw. Fresno one night and Visalia the next. How about those switchbacks coming down from Moro Rock to the bottom?! If you had gone out toward Crescent Meadow, you might have also seen Auto Log. That's where you drive on TOP of the log and photo your car if you can. The size of the giant sequoias is mind boggling. I have a photo of 4 of us guys strung out across the from of one arm to arm and barely cover the distance. You know that whole road where you actually drive along the Kings River before Cedar Grove was washed out. Did you see how well they rebuilt it with lots of cement and rocks in places where it might go again? I've done lots of BP trips from both ends the the parks you were in. As fantastic as it is from the car, the backcountry is so much more amazing. Thanks for sharing your adventure. OCTechguy