My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Where Everybody Knew My Name...

Monday’s Blog Prompt: May 12 1993 was the last broadcast of "Cheers" on NBC-TV. Do you go to any place where “everyone knows your name?” Describe it.

When I first moved to my little town, there was a small café down the street from my house. I would go in to get a cup of coffee and toast every day before work. The regulars invited me to the round table where they sat every day and then I became one of the “family.” I ate there so much that the owner started to call me at home when she was sick and wouldn’t open up early enough for my breakfast. Two of the elderly gentlemen were brothers and when I asked them where to buy the best garden hoses and tomato plants, they gave me advice. But that afternoon when I arrived home, there were 2 new garden hoses and some tomato plants for me. The spring I decided to rent a tiller and make a 100 x 20 foot flower bed, one of the brothers and a friend showed up at my house with a huge tiller on a trailer and proceeded to till my flower bed for me. I loved to eat there every morning and share gossip, news, and opinions with my friends. We would fill up our own coffee cups and then float around the café and fill up everyone else’s too. Both of the brothers have passed away now and the owner died of cancer a few years ago. The other regulars have moved on to other places and so have I. The place has been sold a few times and it hasn’t been the same. I really miss that place.

Photo credit: Cafe by leandro marco

3 comments:

Tammy said...

OH wow Pat!! What a great place to go and enjoy the company of others.

Tammy said...

Oh my goodness Pat. I was looking at and reading about your adventures. What a great trip this is for you!! I can't wait to see all your layouts with your pictures.

Anonymous said...

Pat and Don....Hello shipmates! Susan and I are heading to Italy this Saturday for a cruise on the Freedom. We only hope we have folks on this cruise that we like as much as you two. Our computer went South recently and I was sitting at work daydreaming and thought about you guys. We'll let you know how the cruise went. If you still have our email address please send a mail so we can capture your address.

John and Susan from Texas