My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Monday, January 08, 2007

A Stranger's Kindness

Blog Prompt: Describe a time when you have benefitted from the kindness of a stranger.

There have been so many times that a stranger has been kind to me that it is hard to pick one instance.

My husband and I was on our way to Chattanooga, TN one weekend when our tire went flat on the interstate on a Sunday afternoon. We called AAA to come change our tire (my hubby's back was broke when he was a teen and refractured in a car wreck 6 years ago so he has a lot of trouble bending over to do stuff like this) but you have to wait for hours for them to arrive. This very nice young couple stopped to help us change the tire. When we told them that we had already called AAA, the young man told us that he could have the tire changed before AAA would ever get there so we let him. Then we tried to pay him but he wouldn't take our money and hoped that if their parents needed help, that someone would help them.

To continue with the kindnesses of strangers, we got to a WalMart right before it closed and they were going to fix our tire but it could not be fixed. So, we had to buy another tire but they didn't have one in stock. The tire manager called another WalMart in another town to see if they carried it and they did. (Keep in mind now that it is Sunday evening!). We drove about 30 miles to this other store to find that the man kept the garage open just for us so he could put another tire on our car. We tried to tip this man too and he refused any extra money and said he was just glad to help us. He hoped that if he was ever in this situation that people would do the same.

It really warms my heart to know that there are so many nice people in this world!

8 comments:

Tiffani said...

I have to say (although I didn't mention it) but Wally World employees seem to be of an extra nice breed. I have been helped by them as well as know others who have.

Laura said...

That is a nice story. It warms my heart and gives me hope that there really are people out there like this.

Unknown said...

Kind and generous people are all around us if we just look. It's a shame they don't get equal time in the news.

Denise said...

I think there must be an auto club for kind strangers... they seem to be out on the roads. My post was breaking down too.

Michelle said...

cool how your kindness from strangers extended thru that day. looks like you needed your angels extra on that trip!

Paula May said...

Wow, that's awesome! Thanks so much for sharing your stories! :)

Glynis said...

Oh what a wonderful story...thanks for the reminder that there are very many nice people out there just waiting to help!

carin.c said...

Great story - I love hearing there are still kind and generous people out there.