My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Collecting

Blog Prompt: Does anyone you know collect unusual things or have an excessive amount of something? Do you?

My husband collects anything that he thinks will be worth money in the future. He calls them investments or antiques or Americana. I call it "junk"! We have glass conductors attached to a huge piece of wood with wires sticking out. We have old signs, and stuff that most people wouldn't look twice at because they are old, or odd.

Depending on what mood I'm in, I collect Tom Clark gnomes (if I can find them at yard sales and flea markets). I also collect Christmas ornaments at after Christmas sales. My biggest downfall are books. I love books and I collect all kinds on all different topics or by different authors. I never know what mood I may be in and will want the perfect book to read. I have wall to wall books in 2 rooms. I also have about 40 boxes of books in the attic to the point that they are dangerously cracking the ceiling. I also have a storage building we rent by the month filled with books (and hubby's junk).

Our problem is that we don't throw anything away. You never know when or how you can use it or if it will be worth something someday (maybe not for money but definitely sentimentally). I never plan to go through this stuff because I will die rather than move and I will let the relatives clean up this "mess"!

3 comments:

dapupsmom said...

Oh I'd love to check out your book collection. Sounds like you could open your own library!

Glynis said...

Ahh! My grandmother used to say the same thing about 'let someone else clean it up'!! And we did :) I agree that books are a very addicting collection and I too would love to look at yours. Hope your trip was great...but it's good to have you back!

carin.c said...

I love to collect books too - mostly I buy new, some I buy at garage sales. Been trying to talk myself into using the library for free, but then I wouldn't be supporting the art of the writers now would I.