My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Monday, January 22, 2007

My Geekiest, Nerdiest Moment

Blog Prompt: share your geekiest, nerdiest moment.

My husband and I attended a Nascar race one year, because he was really into them at the time. In fact, we were going to 5 or 6 races a year which was extremely expensive (about $1000 per weekend which included hotel, food, race tickets). I was not into car races but we do everything together (quality time) so I went with him. Like a little kid, I have to bring things that keep me amused so I had a bag of goodies with me (goodies usually implies lots of books!). At the time I was studying for National Board Certification in teaching, so during the race I pulled out my books and studied. Meanwhile people were getting drunk and/or rowdy about the car race while I tuned them all out and studied some more. I got some weird looks but was finally ignored but hubby said I really embarrass him when I do this kinds of stuff. I told him that we had two choices: either let me do what I want to do there, or we don't go at all. He never complained again and finally his interest in Nascar racing went away.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL. So what does he do when the two of you do things you like?

Maggie said...

Aren't books a great way to escape from what's going on around you? But I have to applaud you if you were able to actually study and absorb what you were reading in that atmosphere!

Meg said...

LOL, "finally his interest in Nascar went away." You knew it was only a matter of time, right? I mean really, how long can you watch cars turn left?

Love your perseverance!

Michelle said...

LOL! i had to do the same thing with tractor pulls! only i took quilts that needed binding...dh was embarassed by the "old lady" pasttime...he quit asking me to go! hehehe

Anonymous said...

Hope he moved on to something less noisy Pat.

Unknown said...

I had to smile at this entry - my sister-in-law goes with her husband to Aussie Rules football. She takes a book to read during the game.