My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Childhood Games

Blog Prompt: Describe a childhood game you used to play. Who did you play with? Any special (ie. made-up) rules?

I don't remember playing games with any specific person. I was the youngest of three girls and both of my sisters were much older than me (10 and 12 years older) so I was old before my time. I remember spending a lot of time playing chaperone while my middle sister was dating so I didn't play a lot with kids my own age. What I remember best is playing make believe with my dolls or just by myself. I pretended I was a teacher and had a full classroom of students. I loved teaching them to read and giving grades. Since I read a lot I would pretend I was the main character of my books and act out a lot of scenes in my backyard. I used to write plays and act scenes out in my head. It's sad that kids today do not know how to pretend or use their minds. They seem to need electronic games or music or something to entertain them. I hope that young parents read this and encourage their children to pretend more with less props. It's good for the soul.

5 comments:

Gabby Faye said...

I so agree! Just the other day I noticed my 3-year-old granddaughter pretending with a rather homely doll, instead of any of her lifelike babies.
I was just SO amused! Like the time I saw ALL of the 3 kids' dolls and stuffed animals on my son's bed. I asked and was told that Andy was Babysitting...it was HIS turn. They took turns like that for a long time

Unknown said...

Very sage advice Loony. One that should be taken to heart by all parents these days. And as I sit here, the Princess is playing on a toy guitar and making up songs, while Indie has taken the cushions off the couch and has made himself a fort which he is diligently defending.

Bonnie said...

Yes kids these days are so involved with technology! I try so teach my kids to play imaginatively. I only allow the kids to watch an hour of cartoons or a movie (their choice, and then the cartoons are resistricted too, no Tom and Jerry and other violent ones) a day and at night while I cook dinner they watch a 30 min programme on the animal channel -"Monkey Business" which is very cute and educational. I grew up playing a lot of imaginary games.

heather said...

My boys are very into dressing up and pretending they are this or that. The dressup box is the messiest area of the house..

faery-wings said...

I so totally agree. (must be the teacher in me too).