My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Another Pet Peeve

Today I realized another pet peeve I have and thought about sharing it with you. First let me warn you that this may be all my fault because I've been in a "mood" all weekend. Yesterday it poured down rain and it made me depressed. This is my last weekend before school starts again and it is raining! So, this morning, since it cleared up, hubby agreed to go hiking with me. First we stopped at the flea market and then we did an 8 mile hike along a river, which was absolutely wonderful. But that is not my pet peeve. Here it is...

I like dogs. I've owned dogs. I'm not a dog hater. But I hate when owners do not control their dogs on hiking trails! Years ago, I was attacked by my neighbor's dog for no reason at all. He was part wolf and they say it was just natural instinct. Ever since then I've had an irrational fear around dogs that I do not know. I know it is irrational but I can't help it.

Today we came across some people with dogs, who kindly put their dogs on leashes when they approached us. They even walked between us and the dogs, which was greatly appreciated. I don't mind people bringing their dogs on hikes as long as they control them.

Further down the trail, these 2 dogs came bounding down the trail towards us with no owner in sight. It scared me to death and hubby stands in front of me to protect me (isn't he wonderful!). The owner shows up and insists that we had nothing to be afraid of because they are friendly (and I'm supposed to know that by how?).

A little further down the trail is more people. We hear them calling their dogs who were behind them. Through the woods bounds a HUGE German Shepherd, which almost mowed me down! I made an exasperated sound which irritated the owner who accused me of being the cause of this. He said that dogs are attracted to fear and it is my fault for showing fear. Since I am not a very confrontational person, I just walked on in disgust.

Maybe I'm too sensitive to this and I hope I haven't offended any of you dog owners but it affected me tremendously. I don't think some dog owners realize this. Thank you for listening to me!

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

I personally am not a dog person at all. I had dogs as pets when I was little and loved them, but have always been a cat person. So this would really annoy me! I have nothing against people with dogs, but if they are going to take them out for a walk etc, it is their responsibility to leash them. I think it was wrong of the owner of that German shepherd to blame it on you. He would not have said the same thing if it was a toddler that had showed fear would he? I admire you for just walking on, I wouldn not have been able to keep quiet and would of said a thing or two!! Good for you.

Anonymous said...

Hi there....I came across your blog this evening and completely agree with you on this. I too love dogs but have, for no reason at all, a fear of dogs I do not know. So I know how you feel.

We have one of the most loveable dogs in the world...a massive boxer that thinks hes a lap dog...LOL. But how is someone whos never met him to know that he is the sweetest thing in the world. Even in our home, if someone comes to the door or we have someone new around we always make sure that one of us has a hold of him until the new person is comfortable. I think it should be common sense that you always keep a handle on you animals, you never know how others will react to them and even more important, no matter how well you know your animal, you never know how they will react to other people.

I agree that I admire you for just walking on, myself I would have given those people a LARGE piece of my mind. LOL

heather said...

You know I feel the same way about dogs now. About 6 years ago we were out walking with our baby in a pram and this dog just tore out of its gate at top speed from behind us, not barking just heading straight for us and it was really scary. My dh was very brave too and protected us and scared it off. Ever since I am very nervous of any dog around me or my kids, and it annoys me when dog owners say it's OK he's harmless, because that is the story you always read in the newspaper when a child has recently been mauled, or worse, a child was recently killed here in our state by a dog... someone always says: the dog has never done that before! I say NO dog is safe, even it is has ben harmless up to this point in time.

heather said...

Oh, and you got me going on a big vent myself then LOL I forgot to say good luck for tomorrow, first day back at school, hope all goes well, I'll be thinking of you :)