My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Monday, July 31, 2006

Speechless in South Carolina

Blog Prompt: "Do not the most moving moments of our lives find us without words?"~ Marcel Marceau Write about it... If you were speechless, how did you express your feelings?How did those around you react to the same situation? Was this a one-time occurrence, or do you frequently find yourself speechless in the face of these same circumstances? Who in your life has left you speechless?

First of all I have to admit, I talk too much. I know it and so does anyone who has been around me. I talk when I'm excited or worried or especially when I'm nervous. So, to be speechless is a big thing for me and it has to be a life altering event.

Well, it happened. Last November, my colleagues chose me as Teacher of the Year for our school for this upcoming year. Usually special ed teachers don't get this honor and I was surprised that anyone thought I was worthy of this honor. I'm not sure I even voted for myself! I had been thinking about retiring at the end of the school year and was feeling a little overwhelmed and discouraged with my class at the time. The school needed another teacher to help handle the big class size that I had but we couldn't find anyone. If we did, we would have to find them a classroom too. Due to the large class size, discipline was a daily issue, not to mention papers to grade. At the time, I wasn't looking for any honors or recognition, I just wanted relief! When I was told I had been chosen, I was stunned and couldn't say a word.

This past April I was told that I made it into the Top 10 Teachers of the Year in the District (of almost 5000 teachers) and the District winner will be announced on Aug. 15 (so please keep me in your prayers!). I have mixed feelings about winning. I dread having to make a speech if I win and I worry about the attention and publicity (there will be interviews for newspapers and TV). Yet, if I win, I would be so honored and thrilled that I will probably be speechless again! (This anticipation, excitement, and anxiety is stressing me out right now. )

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Pat, I can't think of anyone more worthy than you, even if it does make you speechless.

Gabby Faye said...

Well, I should SAY thot was a special moment and, as we know you, a well earned honor. They got it RIGHT!

Meg said...

I love that it was so unexpected!! What an honor, you know we're rooting for you!!

Glynis said...

Pat, you are the sort of teachers I pray that my children will have...I'm crossing my fingers and praying that you won't stress yourself out too much!!

Unknown said...

Yay Pat! COngratulations on being picked for the top 10. and good luck for aug 15. ill be thinking of you.

heather said...

Fingers crossed for you Pat!! Don't worry about the newspapers etc. just be yourself!! Good luck :)