My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

My Education

Blog Prompt: What did you study in school, or what was a favorite subject? Did you receive your education somewhere other than school?

I have always loved school and couldn't get enough of it. As soon as I was able to, I even took summer enrichment courses while others took remedial classes. I just loved to learn and still do. I still love to take courses but I don't have enough time. I hope once I retire, I can take all those courses I never had time to take.

A lot of my education though occurred through experience. All of that book learning is very different from real life. Through teaching, I think my students have taught me about real life as much as I have taught them about book learning. When I graduated from college, I had these fantasies about changing the world. I had a black and white view of how things should be. Now after teaching for 25 years, I have to laugh about how naive I was back then. The world is not in black and white. There are many times it is in many colors. Many times there is no right or wrong answer. I have learned that having an open mind and being flexible is much more important than being right. If I only knew then what I know now...

2 comments:

heather said...

Oh you are so right Pat! Firstly, how much teaching others actually teaches us about ourselves. I am so grateful for what I've learnt, in another job I wouldn't have had to learn those sometimes hard lessons about myself. And secondly, about being flexible and being able to go with the flow is definitely very important. I was so much more about controlling things when I first started out too. Now, I know you can't change the world and maybe not even one person by trying to... perhaps only by inspiring them and being a good model, which I know you would be to your students Pat!! Great post :)

debra said...

Boy, am I with you! Scary to think how naive we can be!