My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Friday, March 14, 2008

School Revisited

Blog prompt: Schools Revisited

Furman University: I loved my college life! It was my first experience with independence (800 miles away) and I made so many friends. Those were good years. I loved it so much that I got my master's degree here and I was married at the Bell Tower on campus. I even am an adjunct instructor here teaching courses to teachers who are getting their master's degree in special education.

High School - those years are fuzzy. My oldest sister died right before I entered high school so everything is blurry. I had transferred to a new school in a different district (for reasons you will see as you read on) and it was hard making new friends. I did have a best friend in high school called Bunny and she helped me survive. I was so advanced that I took all AP courses in 12th grade and had early dismissal. I was also part of the drama club which helped since my parents were extremely overprotective.

Junior High - Horrible. I hated every minute of it but the event that clinched the whole thing was a major gang fight that I was innocently involved in. An acquaintance who walked the same way I did to get home somehow was walking with me this one day. Apparently she said hello to this other girl's boyfriend (known bully who was a couple of years older than us but had been held back for a couple of times). This bully and her gang of girls confronted the acquaintance and me (since they thought I was her friend). Since I was a chicken, I remember knocking this boy off his bike and riding home. My dad put the bike in the car and drove me back up to the scene. When I gave the bike back to the boy, I tried to get the acquaintance in the car but she refused because she didn't know my dad (stupid!). We left and the next day I found out the acquaintance was in the hospital with a broken collarbone, broken arm, broken leg, internal injuries, and kicked so much between the legs that she would be unable to ever bear children. Needless to say, I was a nervous wreck the rest of the year. Of course I was also shocked when the victim came back from the hospital and became friends with the bully. I knew I wanted out of there, so we used my sister's address so I could go to a high school in a different district.

Elementary- elementary school was good for me except 4th grade. This was the year that influenced me to become a teacher. We had a teacher (I still remember her name(s)) and she was engaged, married, and divorced in the one year that we had her. She came to class with sunglasses a lot and physically abused us by slamming students in the wall or jerking them out of the chair by their hair if they gave a wrong answer. She threatened to kill us if we ever told anyone and I don't think any of us ever did. In fact, I never told anyone about this until I was married after college. I had the beginning of an ulcer that year but I was the perfect student with straight As. I swore that when I grew up that I would become a teacher and my students would never be afraid of making a mistake.

Photo credit: Furman Bell Tower from Furman Alumni Page

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have met some really horrible teachers, but your 4th grade teacher takes the cake. I hope that she eventually was found out. She needed some serious help.

Okay you reminded me of one terrible incident at school. Kind of the same thing. Only I was the one that said hello. Fortunately, like you, I was smart enough to go get help.

But it looks like college was a wonderful place and time for you. A time to spread your wings and find out that you really could fly. :)

Beachcomber said...

I don't understand why people like that 4th grade become teachers. Sorry about your sister. That is terrible what happened to that girl. Why are some kids so mean to others?

Quanita said...

Oh Pat :( How Awful for your early schooling to be so plagued. *Hugs*

Your university on the other hand looks so awesome, love that photo of the belltower and how cool that you got married there.

I love how you related everything to where you are now and your entry really shows your progression and motivation for teaching. (I'm sure there is alot more but some insight is always lovely!)

murcha said...

I am so glad that you became a teacher despite all those odds that were stacked against you in your younger days. Your classroom and teaching practices will be all the richer, wiser and more sensitive. The experiences you have had would be called character building by the experts, but sometimes I am sure that you wished you would not have had to endure them. Thanks for sharing

loonyhiker said...

murch: If I could help one student from having to go through the "character building" that I went through, it will make it all worthwhile! :)

Anonymous said...

Pat,
You should add a link to Clay's meme because we are all survivors of some bad stuff. I almost want to say I cannot believe what happened in your junior high, but since we grew up in the same town......I know better! Thank you for sharing. You are still inspiring many of us with your knowledge and spirit.