My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Friday, March 28, 2008

Brooklyn 03/27/08

Today we drove to Brooklyn to see Shea Stadium and see the new stadium being built. After that and many u-turns, going around in circles, we went to Flushing Corona Park which is home to the Unisphere. This was the huge world sculpture I remember from the 1964 World’s Fair. There was another huge rusting structure that looked like it was a viewing platform but I’m not sure. The Unisphere looked in great condition and I could imagine the park full of people, vendors, noise, and lights all around. Of course at the time I was only 5 years old so I’m not sure how much is memory and how much is fantasy.

Next, we drove to Coney Island to see Astroland. I’m told that they will take the roller coaster down and I don’t know if the whole amusement park is closing or if they are just getting rid of the roller coaster. We ate hot dogs with sauerkraut at the Original Nathan’s and then we walked along the boardwalk on the beach as it began to rain.

We came back to Long Island before rush hour started and I drove to my old elementary school (Southwest Elementary) and my old junior high school (when I was there it was West Jr. High but now it is West Middle School).

I feel like we spent the whole day eating. We started out at Panera Bread, then in Flushing we stopped at Dunkin Donuts. When we got to Coney Island we ate Nathan’s hotdogs with sauerkraut. When we got back to Long Island we ate hamburger and fries at White Castle. A little while later we ended up at Friendly’s where we ate soup and salad followed by a Jim Dandy. A Jim Dandy is like a banana split but it has 5 scoops of ice cream, lots of toppings, whipped cream and walnuts. I will be as big as a house when we return home!

1 comment:

Beachcomber said...

Sounds like you had a great trip to New York. My husband was at the 1964 World's Fair and saw the Uisphere, too.