My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Thursday, March 20, 2008

My Most Memorable Birthday

Blog prompt: Birthdays (shots from various birthdays and/or birthday memories)

I have to admit that I like my birthday. We don't do anything special to celebrate it because my hubby usually gets me anything I want when I want it so we don't wait for birthdays. I just like the thought that if I have a birthday, I am another year older and I'm still alive. I know that sounds crazy but I am so thankful that I am alive and here to enjoy each day. My mother and sister both died young and I've had many friends who have died so that I know how precious life is.

Now to tell you about my most memorable birthday:

We had only been married about 3 years and my birthday is in September. I was still in the romance stage where I thought my husband should remember my birthday and our anniversary (he still doesn't after 29 years!). September came and went and there was no mention of my birthday. I never mentioned it either but tucked those hurt feelings inside and nurtured them like a baby.
Then November came and we had a humbdinger of an argument. I don't know what it was about but I remember ending with something like "I know you don't love me, you don't care about it, you didn't even remember my birthday!" And then there was silence...and more silence....Then he asked, "When was your birthday?" I mentioned that it was 2 months ago and walked out of the room. Nothing else was said. I'm sure we made up but I thought that was the end of it.

I drove to school the next day in my little Triumph Spitfire convertible (I loved that little car!). I remember still feeling hurt as I taught all day and telling a friend about our argument. When I left school that afternoon and approached my car, it was filled with so many helium balloons that I couldn't even get in the car. After finally getting the balloons out, I noticed little wrapped boxes all over the seat and floor. When I opened the boxes, there were beautiful pieces of jewelry in each one. I finally found a card that said Happy Late Birthday from my hubby.

It was so sweet that I could have cried. I know that was the last and only time he has forgotten my birthday. Of course my daughter calls him every day a week before my birthday now to remind him (lol). I did better with gifts when he forgot than when he remembers!

5 comments:

Glynis said...

That's one of the best stories like that I've ever heard! What a guy you have, Pat!!

ArtcTrish said...

Oh I just teared up! How sweet! But I couldn't have kept my mouth shut that long...LOL!
Happy Easter dear friend!

Tammy said...

OH my gosh that made me cry!!! How sweet that was and now he will always remember. And you are like me, every year I make it to my birthday is a day to rejoice about.

Stephani said...

Me to that story is the best of the best. I had tears in my eyes too! I am sorry that a fight had to be had to get such a wonderful memory but oh wasn't it so worth it! Thanks ever so much for sharing that wonderful memory!

Unknown said...

Tell hubby I'm standing in our virtual corner commiserating with him, LOL. I never remember birthdays or anniversaries.

But what a darling he was with the extra special late birthday gifts. :)