My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A Day In My Life

Blog Prompt: A day in my life (things about my day)

Since I have retired, my days are pretty routine unless we are traveling or going for a hike and I love it!


I get up very early in the morning and have about two hours to myself which I use by reading my bible, checking email, writing on my blogs, working on my summer course that I will be teaching, and reading messages on Twitter (if you have never used this, it is pretty cool and I'm addicted). If you want to know more, click on Twitter in Plain English.


When my hubby wakes up, we go to Panera Bread for a bagel and tea. We have been eating there every day for so long that they put the bagel in the toaster before we get out of the car. As soon as we enter, the bagels are presented on the tray ready to eat.


When we leave Paneras, will either do my grocery shopping (no crowds in the store because everyone is working or in school) or we end up home where I do some chores around the house like folding clothes, vaccuuming, washing bathrooms, etc. before I get on the computer. Once I get on the computer, all is lost and I don't emerge unless I have to. I don't think it is a serious addiction though because I have no problem leaving to go shopping or walking but I really have nothing pressing that I have to do so I can play when I want to.


If the weather is nice, we will go walking our 4 miles either before our after lunch. Since we retired, we are actually eating at home more often so we will fix a light lunch at home. Hubby usually has a sandwich and I have left overs from the night before (hubby won't eat left overs) or I have ramen noodle.


The rest of the afternoon usually involves either playing on the computer, reading a book, or crocheting. Once the weather warms up, it will involve gardening also. I have also been teaching my hubby how to blog and do things on the computer so it helps that we are sitting side by side at our respective computers while he is learning. All I have to do is lean over and fix whatever he has done. This is also the time we go shopping or the library.


Around 4pm, I start cooking dinner and we eat by 5pm. After I do dishes, we watch the news on TV and our usual TV line up. I do more crocheting, reading, or playing on the computer until bedtime. This is also the time I call my parents in FL or my sister in NY and talk about the day.


By 9pm, I'm usually in bed reading or watching TV and by 10pm, I am asleep.


As you can tell, I'm a creature of habit and I love my routine. That is what I missed most when I retired was a routine. Slowly I have established a routine that works for me and may change when I tire of it. I hope you aren't bored to tears now or sound asleep. That is my routine for the day which doesn't vary much unless we are traveling. Since we will be gone for 2 months traveling, I will have 2 months of non-routine and that should be interesting and stressful for me!
photo credit: Hospital Hallway by Headur

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Wow, what a lovely, peaceful, and thoroughly enviable life you and your husband enjoy together!

I love Panera, by the way.

I don't think routine is boring...it's structure. Heaven knows this country could use some structure. I've always tried to give my family routine and structure as a rule, but with flexibility. You've struck the perfect balance.

Unknown said...

Sounds busy, busy, busy, when compared to mine, LOL.