My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Leaping into Life


Blog Prompt: Today is Leap Day. Have you ever “leaped” into something without thinking? What was it and how did it turn out?

A few years ago, we hiked 5 miles up to The Hike Inn in Georgia, which in fact, is the only way to get there. It is really neat inn with small rooms, a dining hall, bathroom and showers, and a sun room with a porch filled with rocking chairs. I love to sit out in the rocking chairs in the morning and watch the sun rise over the mountain as I drink a hot cup of tea. After dinner one night, they had a program and this one night they talked about how they compost everything. They have composting toilets and they also compost most of their food scraps. This is where I first learned about the worm composting system.

All the way back down the mountain I thought about the worms and how I wanted one. Luckily my hubby is used to me and he knew what I was thinking so he agreed to help me. The day we got home, my parents came to visit from FL and my dad is really handy with tools. So the very next day, we bought plywood and supplies and my dad built me two huge boxes (4'x2'x2') for my worms (in fact, they look like little coffins). Then we had to go find the worms which was difficult because I needed about 10,000 worms which would not cost me a fortune. I finally found someone who sold me worms wholesale, because the little bait containers would have cost me about $1000 instead of the $100 I spent. Now, keep in mind, this all took place within a week of our visit to the Hike Inn!

I'm proud to say after all this time, I still have my worms and we compost with the poop. My flowers never looked better and I feel I am helping the environment by using natural fertilizer. And it is fun!

4 comments:

Glynis said...

Good for you! I've never composted before, but it sounds like such a good thing. Maybe I'll try it :)

Unknown said...

Maybe I should try something like this. I have such a brown thumb. Though I think I would have a hard time keeping Indy out of it. LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh I have loved catching up with your blog - I loved your robot! :)

Beachcomber said...

I've been thinking about getting into worm composting. My friend has a worm compost. You can also use the worm tea. I tried a regular compost but I don't have any dirt in my yard just grass so it didn't work very well.