My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Procrastination

Blog Prompt: If you procrastinate, what is your most popular excuse and why?

My favorite excuse (and believe me, I have many!) is "I have plenty of time and besides, I work better under pressure!" I somehow always do what needs to be done but the stress and anxiety at the last minute has be promising to myself that next time I won't procrastinate. In fact, I make this promise a lot to myself.

I have worked really hard about making out lists and completing all of the stuff on my list each day. It kind of gives me a thrill to get everything marked off. In the morning I sometimes email my school email with things to add to my list. When I get to work, I make out the master list. I also bring it home with me in case there are things I need to complete at home. But sometimes, out of sight- out of mind once I get home. Or this is where I use THE EXCUSE.

I also have a hard time finding the fine line between procrastination and obsessive compulsive. For example, I have a big parent meeting tomorrow on a new student at 11am (I have no authority to cancel, postpone, or change this meeting). I didn't find out about this meeting until yesterday morning. I called or emailed all the participants to set up the meeting, only to find out 2 hours later that the time is changed. Then I had about 25 pages of paperwork to do but I needed something faxed to me before I could begin. I didn't get the fax until today. I really didn't mind procrastinating yesterday because I didn't want to do it but then I worried about the time factor and but today I wanted to call the person and ask why I didn't have the fax yet. I also understood that I couldn't expect this person to drop everything for me either. Now was that procrastinating and then being obsessive compulsive?? I really need to retire so I can procrastinate without needing any excuses!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I vote for obsessive compulsive myself.

Anonymous said...

I think that is it: we procrastinate when we just don't want to do something. you seem to have hit the nail on the head.

carin.c said...

I've created many a whirlwind with last minute requests - lately I try to limit my procrastination to affecting only me.