My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Athletic Dreams

Blog Prompt: If you were back in school and could join any extracurricular activity (no try-outs or cool kids ), which club, sport, or other activity would you choose?

When I was in school, I was always the nerd. I always had my head in a book or was making straight As but boy, did I want to be an athlete. They always seemed to be the popular kids. Instead I was a "mathlete" which means I was on the math team (at the time we were considered big nerds!) Not to mention that both of my older sisters were volleyball players and cheerleaders and were very popular. No, I did not have an athletic bone in my body. In fact I think no respectable athletic bone came within 500 feet of my body! I was the kid everyone hated to have on their team in gym and I was always the last one picked.

Now that I've said that, if I could join any sport, I would have loved to be on the softball team. To make up for it, for the past 22 years I have supported the softball team at my schools that I teach at. Usually they are the least supported team in the whole school. Girls sports usually are not very well supported. My hubby and I are the surrogate parents for the whole team and we even try to go to away games. In fact, when many of the girls go on to play softball for college, we are invited to many of the games. We even filled in for parents day when one girl's mom couldn't make it (her dad had died and her mom was agoraphobic). Every year we are invited to the sports banquet and the team (and parents) give us gifts for supporting them (but we don't do it for the gifts). The girls usually give us a team picture which I display in my classroom each year. so, since I never could be on the team, this is the next best thing!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it is wonderful that you and dh support your school's sports. I was always athletic in school and was on the tennis team; as well as field hockey and softball. But the activity I loved the most was the Latin club.

Glynis said...

So good for you, Pat! I'm like you, not one athletic bone in my body, but supporting a team is the next best thing...and it sounds like you know how to do that!