My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Saturday, October 14, 2006

My Pickup Truck

Blog Prompt: What sort of car do you drive? For what reason do you use it the most? (eg. work/shopping/etc) Do you like driving? Why/why not? What sort of driver are you? What condition is the car in? Any accident/anecdotes from your driving history? Do you have a picture of your car to share? (Does it need cleaning right now.....? LOL) And anything else you can think of on this topic!!! GREEN LIGHT - GO! and write!

Before I tell you about my vehicle, let me explain that I moved to SC from NY. Almost everyone in the south drives pickup trucks. Being a gardener, I just had to have a pickup truck. But my husband is a judge and I'm a teacher, so he thought I should have something with more prestige to drive but I am not going to be a snob or something that I'm not. I don't believe in doing or having things in order to pretend that I'm better or richer than others. But he felt since we lived in a little town, people look up to us and expect us to live a certain way. I don't care. Accept me for the way I am or leave me alone! I wanted a pickup truck to haul mulch, gardening tools, large items, etc. in. I only drive it to and from work which is about 20 miles a day. On the weekends we drive my hubby's Chevy Tahoe so I didn't want anything fancy. My pickup is just a small plain red Ford Ranger (not even the extended cab). I don't have cruise control or electric windows or electric locks. It's even a straight drive and not automatic which helps with gas mileage (so I'm told). It is the one thing in my life that is not cluttered because it is so small I don't let things stay in the cab. My hubby says I'm the only Chinese redneck in our little town!

As for driving, I'm a much better driver than my husband says I am but I don't like to drive. I leave most of the driving for him except if we go out and he has a drink. If he has one drink, he won't drive at all so I'm the designated driver (I don't have a drink if he has one). He says I drive like a New Yorker and I say he drives like an old lady! But I don't complain too much or he will ask me to drive, while he holds onto the door with white knuckles and criticizes everything I do! I just read a book while he drives.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

SUV all the way for me. Needed it to haul the boat. Really enjoyed reading your post. One of these days will have to get up with. Looks like Nuke is moving to SC.

Unknown said...

i think what you guys call a pickup truck, we call a ute. My boyfriend would love a ute. hes been bugging me for ages about getting one, and to be honest i agree that having one would be very handy! they are a great car for moving stuff around!

carin.c said...

LOL! I like the way you think! :) I know way too many people who are caught up in what car they drive and often drive something outside thier means.

Dante Mallet said...

For sheer power and hauling strength, the pickup is the ideal vehicle. Dodges and Chevy's are the kings of the road, but the Japanese also have amazing pickups like the Toyota Hilux. That beast is simply indestructible. You'll keep on driving it forever because it can haul anything and it won't stop hauling.