My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Inherited Traits

Blog Prompt: What do you see in yourself that has come from your ancestors? If you have children, what have you handed down?

When I was growing up, I swore I was not going to be like my mother but unfortunately, I have been sounding more and more like her. When my girls were growing up I heard myself say phrases that I promised would never cross my lips. But there I was saying them myself. No matter how I tried, they were there and nothing I could do stopped them. Things like: Do you think money grows on trees? I don't care if you like me but you will respect me. How many times do I have to tell you? If all the kids jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge, would you do it too? and on and on. My grandparents were very strict with my parents and they were with me also. My sense of values and integrity has been handed down from generation to generation. Even though I didn't want to become just like my mother, I'm proud of the way that we have the commonality of shared values. It is times like this that I'm sorry I never told her this before she died. Maybe she is in heaven reading this and smiling.

4 comments:

Meg said...

I'm sure she knew this before she passed, and was proud of it too.

And I think it's genetically impossible not to use the phrases our mothers used on us!

Anonymous said...

LOL Pat, is this the fate of all women, that we turn into our mothers?! Sounds like your mum handed down some great values to you though and you have good reason to be proud of her and what she taught you :) and she handed down some useful mother-speak as well :) heather

Jenny said...

Yes - I too have fallen into the "I will Never" trap glad to have the company!

Glynis said...

I've said all those things too--and my kids are still young! I wonder how much else of my mother will come out as I get older :)