My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Monday, October 16, 2006

A New Holiday

Blog Prompt: Create a new holiday (e.g. Talk Like a Pirate Day). Include the origins and any special rituals of your day.

If I could create a holiday, I would announce "Take a Hike Day". Everyone would be excused from work or school if they had proof that they took a hike at a state park or national park or some organized trail. Rangers would stamp a card at the trail head and another ranger would stamp it whereever you came out.

Yesterday, my hubby and I hiked around Max Patch which is a mountain in western NC. The Appalachian Trail crosses right over it. Max Patch is a grassy bald and when you stand on top, you can see 360 degrees around you. We climbed up there and the views of changing leaves were magnificent. The weather was very crisp and cool (about 40F when we started but warmed up to near 60F when we were done). After hiking awhile, we started talking about how many people do not go out and enjoy nature. There is so much to see and do and enjoy outdoors that doesn't even cost a lot of money. We don't take advantage enough of what God has given us.
Then when we retire or take time to enjoy things like this, we are either too old or not in good enough health to actually do it. What a shame that so many people waste the opportunities that are out there. So, that is why I would have "Take a Hike Day".

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the idea. Now all you have to do is get it through Congress.

Anonymous said...

I think this is great! I agree, that nature is free. We have a beautiful nature reserve right here by us and I often take the kids and go for a picnic, feed the ducks, go for long walks through the narrow winding foot paths that lead under low branches, past trickling streams. I love the sound of running water, birds in the trees, nothing but natural sounds. It is so good for the soul. I would go for this holiday.

Glynis said...

I'm not a great one for being outdoors, but I think this is a wonderful idea--I agree that we don't appreciate nature nearly enough. Did I just hear somewhere that a poll says people would rather watch a tv show about a nat'l park than actually visit one? What a shame!