My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Sunday, October 08, 2006

My Sister

Blog Prompt: describe/talk about your relationship with a sibling. Did you fight as children? Now? What similarities or differences do you have....? What do you like about them.. or anything else you want to write about them. Or, if you don't have any siblings, would you want one and why?

Let me start off by telling you that I'm the youngest of 3 girls. My sisters were 10 and 12 years older than me so I was totally spoiled and still am (even at 47 years old). My oldest sister passed away (she had lupus for 6 years) when I was 14 so for most of my life it has just been me and my middle sister. When I went away to college and got married, I drifted away from my sister even though we always knew we loved each other, we just drifted apart. With the increased use of computers and cell phones, I feel over the past few years that my sister and I have gotten so much closer. We "talk" on AOL Instant Messenger a lot and since all of our calls are free on Verizon (we're on the "In" network) we have talked a lot more. The hardest thing for me is that sometimes I think she still sees me as her "little" sister and treats me like I don't know anything. I want to yell, "Hey I'm a grown up now. I can take care of myself and make my own decisions without you giving me your opinion!" Of course as an adult, I have to step back and realize that if one of my friends made the same comment I wouldn't resent it at all and then I feel guilty. I worry about my sister a lot since she has lupus (has had it for many years) and I live 800 miles away from her but I just trust in God that he will take care of her and her family.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem with my siblings, see my post to understand why! I think the older your siblings are than you, they are more protective.

Unknown said...

must be hard for you to be so far away from your sister. i would never be able to move away from my siblings - and hopefully they wont go too far from me either! :)

carin.c said...

You are blessed to have a sister and even more so to have been able to reconnect.

Unknown said...

It is really funny how we can misconstrue a statement from a sibling, but let a friend or aquaitance get away with it without a second thought. I have been quilty of that one myself.

Jenny said...

It is hard to be far away from family thankfully technology helps us keep closer. Thanks for sharing

Glynis said...

Beautiful post...it is very hard to be apart from people that we love, but it's good that you have faith that God will protect her.