My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Water

Blog Prompt: Tell how you feel about water - playing in it, seeing it, using it. Talk about various bodies of water you have seen and an experience or feeling.

I like to drink water but it has to be ice cold. Of course this is a problem when I'm hiking so I have to freeze my water bottles. Of course after hiking miles, when I am dying of thirst, I will drink the water even if it is room temperature but I don't like it at all. In fact, my hubby has to tell me to drink water once it gets warm and I take small sips. Yuck!

I like to swim in my friend's swimming pool but the chlorine affects my skin because I have eczema. It sometimes makes me itchy. Our hot tub is great in the winter when I'm always cold and hubby keeps our house so cold but again, I have the issue with the chlorine. I'm not a big fan of the hot tub in the summer when I'm hot. (Going through the "change" means I'm either very hot or very cold but there is no middle ground!)

I like to look at the ocean but never get past my knees. I used to love the ocean and grew up on Long Island where we constantly went to the beach. I even took a marine biology course in high school. But ever since I was almost eaten by sharks, I've given the ocean a wide berth! My hubby and I were newly married and in love. Of course we had no money but we bought one of those floating air mattresses. We were hanging over it and deep in conversation when the current swept us far away from the beach. People on the beach looked very tiny. Hubby started humming "Jaws" and then noticed no one else was in the water. He jumps off the float and says something to me as he swims away. I didn't hear him so I yelled what? He screams again: SHARK! I'm still hanging on this float and notice fins circling me so close I can touch them. I don't remember anything else except that I'm on the beach (with the float under my arm of course!) watching hubby swim to the shore looking behind him for me. I'm yelling that I'm up on the beach. The lifeguards run up to us and practically cuss us out! They had been whistling and yelling at us for 10 min. thinking we would be eaten. They say that I practically walked on water and outswam my hubby with one arm (because I had the float in the other) but I don't remember that. Well, no more ocean for us!

5 comments:

mom2triplets04 said...

OMG I was at the edge of my seat while reading your entry about the shark. Thank God you and hubby were okay. I too wouldn't go into the water again after that incident.

Bonnie said...

Oh my word, how scary is that?! Wow, now do you see why I hate to swim in the ocean? lol

Bonnie said...

In response to your question on my blog: this was before I was married btw.
I put my hands over them and walked out backwards to my towl the one time and the other time it was a deserted beach and it was late so I just covered myself and ran as fast as I could to my towel! Ha ha. (trust me not fun!)

Unknown said...

Too scary. Both last year and this we have had shark attacks. Some have speculated that it may be related to the hurricanes. I don't care. Still I get nervous when daughter takes the kids to the beach.

Glynis said...

Frightening -- what a great story though!