My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

My Hero

Blog Prompt: Do you have a hero in your life? Why would you call them that?

I think my dad is my hero. He came to the US alone from China when he was around 11 years old. He came across by boat and landed in Vancouver. From there he took a train to Boston where he joined his father. At this time, he did not speak or understand the English language and saw this as a big adventure. It is so hard for me to imagine this because I have been so sheltered and protected. He must have been so mature for his age and when I see 11 year olds now I try to imagine them traveling around the world alone. Coming to America was an important event in his life and for his family. He fought for the US in WWII and has great pride in being an American citizen. He has instilled in me a pride in being an American because of all the things he had to go through to come to the US. I'm so proud of him for all that he has accomplished so far in his life.

4 comments:

Glynis said...

He IS a hero! What great stories he must be able to tell from all of his experiences!

Karen said...

He sounds like someone who deserves to be considered a hero.

mom2triplets04 said...

wow I can't imagine an 11 year old traveling across country by himself. Your dad was very brave and a hero.

Unknown said...

sounds like you have a great dad. How brave of him to travel across the country by himself. im 25 and i dont think i would want to do that by myself!