My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Friday, September 29, 2006

Release

Your prompt is "release". Take that word however you like, and write.

This song reminds me of an old song called "Please Release Me" by Engelbert Humperdinck. As I reach the end of my teaching career, this song is becoming my mantra. I truly love teaching and am glad that I became a teacher. I don't have any regrets about my choice of career. Even though I officially retired in July, I am back teaching on a year to year contract. When I first agreed to retire, I had no idea that I would be chosen as Teacher of the Year for the upcoming year so I felt an obligation to return at least another year. Plus, there is a huge shortage of special ed teachers nationwide. At the time my hubby and I talked about retiring, I'm not sure in my mind that I was really really ready to retire so I was quite relieved to come back. Now mentally I believe I am ready to stop teaching but I have so many mixed feelings. My students really need me and I feel that I have a lot of good ideas still but I have so many other things I want to do while I'm still young enough to do them. So I guess I wish that these mixed feelings would "release" me so that I would not worry about leaving teaching and feeling guilty about leaving my students who need me.

8 comments:

carin.c said...

Sounds like you've given a lot of yourself... you deserve time to enjoy life. :)

Michelle Butticci said...

Follow your heart and you will surely find the right answer.

Glynis said...

You've really shared your heart with this post, Pat. I can totally understand the mixed feelings...but I am convinced that when you do retire from 'formal teaching' you will still always be a teacher no matter what. And we never retire from using the gifts God has given us. He'll give you peace about what you should do. (((hugs)))

Unknown said...

Can you work as a consultant to other special ed teachers giving them advice and inspiration? Maybe that would satisfy your need to retire and still be a part of the children you love so much.

Anonymous said...

Englebert Humperdink...theres a name I haven't heard in a while!!!LOL. You sound truly dedicated to your career, and the children you are helping. I hope you do get to let go and release.

Meg said...

Oh I'm so torn, too!! Part of me says, Go! Enjoy the world, you've earned it! But the other part that is very familiar with the amazing talents of good special ed teachers says, Please don't go!! They love and need you!

You'll know when the time is right, trust yourself! And thank you again, for the work you do!

Unknown said...

A few years back my nan went to see Engelbert Humperdinck perform live. I found his name so hilariously funny! Made me smile reading it then! hehe. In a way Pat i envy you having to make this tough decision. You have so much passion for your career and students. I would be able to give up my job in a heartbeat!I wish i could find a job that i felt that passionate about.

heather said...

I think it's OK to make the choice you know is best for you, yet still have mixed feelings about that choice. Decisions always mean letting some alternative choice go. I hate that!