My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

My Child - right now

Blog Prompt: Consider what you love about your child RIGHT NOW. What are his/her unique blessings and talents TODAY? How has being in this particular child's life changed YOUR life?

Today my youngest daughter (30 years old) stopped by my school to visit me. I haven't seen her for a couple of months even though we've talked on the phone. I was so impressed on how mature she seemed. You see, for years we have dealt with her bipolar issues and I've worried tremendously about her. Sometimes we talk every day and other times it may be weeks before we talk again. I was so relieved to see how well she was doing as well as feeling proud of her. Many of you might not think that is a big thing, but we have learned to take one day at a time. That is how this child has changed my life. I am a big planner. I plan my day, my week, my vacations, my future summers, my life, and sometimes try to do that with other people in my life too. Years ago, I luckily found a group called the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill which gave me so much support and understanding. If it hadn't been for them, I don't know where my family would be today. People who had gone through what I have took the time to tell me that I needed to stop trying to get my daughter to live my life as I wanted her to do. I needed to let her live her life on her own terms and be happy for the successes she made. I needed to learn to take one day at a time. I still struggle with this but I understand the importance of it too. God meant for her to be in my life.

4 comments:

heather said...

Oh Pat, how hard that must be (or must have been) to let go... for your daughter's sake, despite your worries. Great to hear she's doing well too. Maybe our children teach US more things than we teach them!

Unknown said...

support groups are so great arent they? i really applaud anyone that can share their lives with others in order to help them.

Anonymous said...

Hi pat, I know what it is like living with someone with Biopolar as I grew up with a dad who had/has it. It is a real disease and something people find difficult to understand. It is not mere depression and affects their whole lives as well as those around them. Thank fully it can be medicated, but they also just need our support and love.

Unknown said...

It is great that you have come to realize how important it is for her to live her life. I know it is a struggle. (mine do not have the problems your daughter has, but I still have to work on not interferring).