My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Thursday, February 07, 2008

My Neighbors

Blog Prompt: Today is Greet Your Neighbor Day. Describe your neighbors.

First I have to tell you how we ended up here, in this little town, much like Andy Griffith's Mayberry. My husband's good friend, David (friends since they were in their early twenties) lives next door. David's wife, Fran calls and tells me that the house next door to them is up for auction and so are the antiques inside so we had to come to the auction (Don loves antiques). We decided we wanted the pretty oval pictures in the foyer and I told Don to bid on them. We discussed the house too and we both liked it but we were in the middle of remodeling our house on the other side of town. While I went next door to visit with Fran, David and Don stayed at the auction. After it was all over, we ended up winning the bid on the house (which I'm not sure how that all worked out but somehow it all did).

After we get the house, I met some of the neighbors that live in the 5 houses across the street. At one house, there is an elderly couple and I find out that he is one of the pastors at my church! One neighbor is the mother of a good friend that I went to college with. The elderly lady directly across the street is the mother of an acquaintance that we've known for a long time. So, I didn't feel like I moved into a new neighborhood and immediately bonded with my neighbors.

Now after many years, the elderly lady directly across the street has passed away but I still miss her. Her house has been empty since she died. My pastor and his wife moved to a retirement subdivision where she died two years ago. David and Fran bought their house and they rent it out. My college friend's mom still lives there and we laugh because we hardly see each other unless we are invited to a party of a mutual friend or some social gathering.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's probably a good thing I didn't see this prompt yet. We have problem neighbors. More on that when I catch up, LOL. But you sound like you like in an ideal neighborhood (kind of sounds like nukes, LOL).