My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentines Day (and a rant too!)


Blog Prompt: Today is Valentine’s Day. What was your favorite Valentine gift?

My favorite valentine gift is the one I got this year. I decided that I wanted a web cam so I can talk by video with others and maybe even try to do some podcasts. I mentioned the possibility and the next thing I know my hubby tells me to research what I want and takes me out shopping to buy it. Now I have a webcam but noone to video talk with yet. I just found out my sister doesn't have a webcam! I am on Skype now but don't know anyone to talk to so if you have a webcam or skype, I'm loonyhiker!

Tonight I'm making lasagna for dinner since this was the first meal we ever had together! Keep your fingers crossed. I got this lasagna noodles from Barilla that are "no boil."

Now for the rant:

Last August I went to the emergency room for food poisoning. When I got the bill from the doctor's office (Gastroenterology Associates) in September, it stated that Blue Cross Blue Shield denied payment so I called. I found out that it wasn't listed as emergency services but as outpatient and emergency services should have been covered. After about 4 phone calls back and forth between the doctors office and the insurance company, the girl at the doctors office said she would call and get it straightened out and refile if necessary. I asked her to let me know if there was a problem and never got any call or bill since then. Today I get a letter from a collection agency telling me that they will ruin my credit because I didn't pay.

I called the doctor's office who said they would refile but when I asked for an email address so I could send a letter to verify the phone call, she refused to give me one. The lady did say the woman in charge of collections MAY POSSIBLY call the collection agency and put it on hold. I asked that this woman call me today when she gets back from lunch and I am still waiting. I will probably call around 4:15 if I haven't heard from her yet.

I called the collection agency (Merchants Credit Association, Inc.), long distance of course, who said I had to send a letter in writing and I asked for an email address to send the letter but she refused to give me one and said I had to send it by mail (does her family members work for the postal service?). She also told me that I shouldn't worry about documentation in case I go to court because they PROBABLYwon't go to court over $236. I asked for her supervisor or the owner of the company or even her attorney but she refused to give me that information and was extremely rude! I guess I made her mad by asking for someone higher up but they are threatening to ruin my credit! Needless to say I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau online (and they even supply an email address to contact them if necessary!)

I am willing to go to court if necessary. I am tired of calling the insurance company who tells me to call the doctors office who tells me to call the insurance company and the collection agency tells me to deal with the doctors office. No one wants to give me a straight answer and I should not be penalized for this since I pay my insurance premiums and I pay my bills on time! Maybe if we go to court I can get the doctor, the doctor's office people, the insurance company and the collection agency people all in one room to get this settled!

Thanks for listening!

8 comments:

Meg said...

Oh my!! How incredibly frustrating!! I'm fighting a medical/insurance bill right now, too. Why do they make it so convoluted???

I have a webcam on my wish list, when I get it, I'll CALL you!!

Beachcomber said...

Aww, sorry. I hope you get it all straigtened out soon. I have a webcam on my new laptop but I don't know how to use it yet.

alvastarr said...

How can they refuse to give you an email address? That's just strange!

ArtcTrish said...

I hate that! We had a similar situation with our cell phone service and it did affect our credit! Awful!
Hope it works out for you!

Leslie said...

Gees Louise! You poor soul!

Oh, and Happy Valentine's Day. :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, tired, that was me - Leslie of Kaleioscope and from DSP.

loonyhiker said...

Leslie: I noticed when I read your blog, which I really enjoy, that says topcatrules so I know that you are one and the same! Thanks for reading mine and commenting!

Stephani said...

Oh! I am sorry you having problems. I also have Blue Cross Blue Shield and got contacted by an attorney saying I didn't pay my bill from May when I went to the ER for my leg. I assumed that Blue Cross Blue Shield took care of it since I met my deductible and paid it. Nope... not so. Now I am fighting with an attorney for $157.00. It is SO frustrating and irritating and just... stupid. Little do they know what is going to hit them if you go to court. GOOD LUCK!! I am just going to pay my bill and grin and bare it as I really have no other option. It is frustrating though and I feel your pain.

CONGRATS on the web cam. That is so cool. I don't own a web cam but I check out several blogs and they do video blogs. You should look into it. Do all you blog prompts on you web cam. LOL! LOL! LOL! It would be fun! HAPPY VALENTINES BELATED! I am glad you had a good one.