My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Using My Eyes on the way to The Rock

Wednesday's prompt: Choose one of your senses and use it to describe something you experience today.

I know it is no surprise to my friends but I went hiking today so I will choose my sight and describe what I saw today.

We met our hiking group at the trail head which was nothing more than a pull off on the side of the road with a little sign stating Parking Area. All around us were just bare hard wood trees, pine trees, and some evergreens. When we started, the trail went straight up and full of rocks but since I was cold I didn't mind. I looked all around at the forest that surrounded me and wondered what it would look like in the spring and summer.

When we would get to a level spot we would wait for everyone to catch up. I would look at everyone and see everyone breathing hard. Some people would be sweating and some would be shedding their coats, hats, and sweaters. Everyone had a pack on to carry their lunch and water. Some people were carrying one or two hiking sticks.

A couple of times we had to cross a creek and had to hop across rocks or tree limbs. The water was rushing by and it even looked cold.

When we finally got to "The Rock" which was our goal, we all spread out to eat lunch. This rock face was open at the top of the mountain and the view was awesome. In front of me I could see Paris Mountain State Park in the distance and even see the city of Greenville with its tall buildings in the horizon. To the right I could see Table Rock State Park with its bare rock face. I could see 360 degrees around and the view was unbelievable

Sights like these make me glad to be alive!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can just imagine how beautiful it must have been. It has been a long time since I've been in the mountains.

Glynis said...

Beautifully written, Pat! I can just see it in my mind. Thanks so much for sharing.

Tammy said...

Pat what a wonderful description. That sounds like so much fun!