My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Visiting Grace

Finally got a photo of the shawl that I made and sent to my friend Grace. I forgot to take a picture before I sent it. I was in Washington DC when Grace's daughter emailed me to let me know that Grace had a heart attack and was in rehab. Since we were only 2 1/2 hours away, I talked my wonderful hubby into driving to NJ to see her. We met Grace and her husband about 9 years ago on a cruise and we've been friends ever since. Have you ever met people that you hit it off with right away and knew you would be good friends? It doesn't matter about the age difference (Grace is 84 now and Jerry turned 90 last year)because we have the same interests and values which makes them so easy to talk to. We didn't call first because I wanted to make sure we could get a hotel room before we called. Then it had gotten late so we decided to just show up at the rehab place. When we got to Grace's room, she was asleep but the shawl I had made for her was covering her (you can see it in the picture). It made me feel so good that she was using it and liked it enough to have it with her. We had a wonderful visit and sat with her while she had dinner. Even though her body was wearing out, her mind was as sharp as a tack and we had a great discussion about politics and presidential candidates. Unfortunately we couldn't stay long but I was so glad I got to visit her. Her daughter hopes that she will return home this weekend so I will try to call her later. We missed Jerry because he had already gone home so I hope we will get to see him on our next visit. It is so hard to find good friends you trust, so when you get them, you want to cherish them as much as you can!

Here is Grace with the shawl I made:


Here we all were on a cruise in Italy a few years ago:

3 comments:

Meg said...

Oh my goodness, she looks so sweet! And you know she loves that shawl if she was using it without knowing you were coming. (It's gorgeous, by the way!)

I love making friendships like that, those are the ones that last.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful shawl, Loony and you can tell, just from the look on her face, that she treasures it and you very much.

Glynis said...

Such a beautiful shawl for a beautiful lady! You're right that good friends are hard to find, so keep the really good ones close!