My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My Favorite Quote

Blog Post: Post a quote that you like and write about why it means something to you.

My favorite is "Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you."

I believe the off shoot of this is "what goes around, comes around" because I know it really happens. I have seen it happened and it is not always pretty!

When I get angry at people, I try to remind myself of this quote so I don't do anything stupid (which doesn't always work) but sometimes it helps me stop and think first. I try to think about why I would act the way that person did, and maybe I'm having a bad day or had a fight with my hubby and how I would want others to act toward me. Sometimes this helps me calm down and walk away, or sometimes it makes me stop and ask that person, " is everything okay?" This can bring amazing results and open a conversation that I know would never have happened if I hadn't thought of my quote.

Sometimes we actually do things for other people in hopes that when we need help, there will be someone there for us. I guess I see it like "putting it in the bank for a rainy day." Since we hike a lot, we know how hard it is for long distance hikers to get supplies so sometimes we go up to Fontana Dam in NC and bring food supplies and hot chocolate to the Appalachian Trail hikers. They usually really appreciate it and only take what they need. I figure that someday I will be on the trail and need food and some "trail angel" will be there for us too.

One time we had a flat tire in Georgia and because of my husband's back injury, he was unable to change the tire. We called AAA to send a tow truck to help us but that could take hours. This wonderful young couple stopped and the young man insisted on changing our tire for us. When we tried to give them some money, they refused it and said they were just glad to be able to help us because it could be them someday. Of course this quote popped in my head again. What a wonderful world we live in!

2 comments:

Glynis said...

Yes, there are wonderful people out there!

Sandra said...

They're out there, but getting fewer and farther apart, unfortunately.

Very inspiring story.