My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Inspiration

Blog Prompt: At what age did you feel most inspired?

Amazingly, I was most inspired 6 years ago when I took a teaching position at a new school. It had been 11 years since I started new again so this was a big step for me, especially at 41 years old. The older I get, the harder it is to start over. The school was twice the size of my old school and I was teaching a program I never taught before but wanted to for years. I wanted to go for National Board Certification but wasn't sure since I was starting a new job.

My new principal encouraged me to go for National Board and even offered to give me leave time and/or extra supports to succeed. I was always aware of his appreciation for my contributions to the school. He also asked my opinion a lot about what would work best in my program and in my department. By including me in some upper level decision making, he was showing he trusted my knowledge and expertise in my field. I had never been treated this way before in any other school that I had taught at for the past 20 years. Since that year, I've felt more confident and sure of myself than I had ever been before. This trust and encouragement helped me grow as a teacher, which led to my being chosen Teacher of the Year this year.

Even though he is no longer the principal of my school, I will forever be grateful to him for allowing me to be the best teacher that I could. Whatever school he chooses to be at should thank their lucky stars that he is their leader!

4 comments:

Canay said...

What an honor to have worked for such a great principal.

Paula May said...

What an awesome answer! I am a teacher as well! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Stephani said...

Congrats on being chosen as teacher of the year! That is quite an honor! You go girl!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that you had such an inspirational mentor. I have no doubt that he was enormously proud when you won your Teacher of the Year award.