My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A Birthday Story

Blog Prompt: What's the most peculiar gift you've ever received? Describe the scene when you opened it and your reaction.

The most peculiar gift I've ever received was my pickup truck fully decorated in honor of my birthday. I had just been at my new job for about a month (I'm a teacher at a high school) and it was the end of the day. My truck was covered in soap writing and had balloons and cans tied to the outside. In addition to all that, the inside was full of balloons (not helium) so when I opened up the door, they didn't go anywhere. I pulled some out and they just landed on the ground around me so I knew I couldn't litter my new job site with these balloons and had to do something. By now, I'm totally embarrassed when one of my new colleagues comes out and looks at the sight. I'm hopping around trying to pop the balloons with my feet so I can pick up the "dead" remains so I'm sure I was fun entertainment. Instead of walking away, she stayed and helped me pop the rest of the balloons. We have been friends ever since. We couldn't untie the knots in the string with the cans so I had to leave the parking lot dragging the cans. What an embarrassing sight all the way home! I did find out that all of this was complimentary of my husband and his staff. Now on my birthday, I hide my vehicle and ask a friend to pick me up at the hide-out site.

6 comments:

samm said...

this is hilarious hehehe great memory and good way to make a new friend.

Stephani said...

I did this to my roomate one year. It is even more fun to watch the birthday person figure out what to do! lol! lol! lol! What a fun, memorable birthday. Sorry couldn't help it had to laugh. It made me giggle!

Glynis said...

I can just see you jumping around in the parking lot with those balloons!! LOL!! What a great story...thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

LOL That is funny, thanks for sharing that.

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous thing to do. I bet your colleagues would have been envious that your husband would go to that much trouble (and have that much imagination) to do that for you.

Beachcomber said...

That is too funny. Great story. I can just picture you with all of those balloons. hehehe