My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Names

Blog Prompt: Is the name you have now the same name that's on your birth certificate? If not, what's changed? If you could change your name (first or middle, no last names for safety please!), what would it be? Why were you named what you were? (Is there a story behind it? Who specifically was responsible for naming you?) Are there any names you really hate or love? What are they and why?

The only change I made was when I got married. I dropped my middle name (Ruth after my grandmother) and use my maiden name and then my married name. As for my nickname, I was called Loony all through school and college so I'm pretty comfortable with it. My parents almost named me Gail but then changed it to Patricia. Over the years I've written my name Patty, Patti, Pattie, Patricia, and Pat (seemed more grown up). When I ran for public office (County Soil and Water Commissioner) I went by Pat in case some people were prejudiced against women. I did win the office with over 60,000 votes so I guess it worked. I'm really not fond of the name Debbie because that was my hubby's ex-wife's name. You wouldn't believe how many Debbies I've run into over the years. I guess that is God's way of a little humor.

1 comment:

Glynis said...

My name doesn't have any nicknames, but I can see how in different phases of your life how it would be nice to have a name that reflected that.