My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Childhood Songs and My Greatest Challenge

Mon 12/28 Blog Prompt: What songs did you sing as a child? Where did you sing them?

singing I remember going to music as a related arts class when I was in elementary school and we learned lots of folk songs. I talk to teens today and they have never heard of them. I think this is such a shame because a lot of our history is from these songs. I learned about John Henry building the railroad, and the Erie Canal being built. I learned the basic songs like She’ll Be Coming ‘Round the Mountain, Shenandoah, Oh Susannah, Oh My Darling Clementine, and songs like this. I learned about the Happy Wanderer that a bunch of us sing while we are hiking along the trail. I have such great memories of learning these songs and I think we are really doing a disservice to our young people by not teaching them these traditional folk songs.

Tue 12/29 Blog Prompt: What was the greatest challenge you faced?

My greatest challenge was getting into the university that I wanted. My parents couldn’t afford to send me to college and wanted me to go to a local college that I might be able to pay for. They also were old fashioned and felt that I needed to live at home. Instead I applied to Furman University and could only afford one application fee so this was the only place I applied to attend. I figured that if I got accepted, then I could worry about financing. Through loans, scholarships, and work study, I was able to attend all four years and paid for it myself. My parents were very unhappy that I was going to be 800 miles away from home but I was determined. As the baby of the family, I was pretty sheltered and had never been away from my parents before. I was also younger than most people who went to college because I was only 17. Yet, this was a major dream in my life and I would do anything to get this. I knew if I could accomplish this goal, I could do anything in my life.

Original image: 'Chorus line'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37718498@N00/4141214476 by: Anna M

No comments: