My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A Childhood Sound

Blog Prompt: Describe a 'sound' from your childhood. What was it? When did you hear it? What does it bring to mind?

Yesterday as my hubby and I walked in the park for our evening exercise, I heard the music of an ice cream truck. Immediately that brought back some memories of childhood. I didn't get to buy ice cream much from the ice cream truck (called Mr. Softee) but when I did, it was a big deal! I used to get a cone that was called Mickey Mouse (nonpareils were used as the ears, and a cherry for the nose).

Another time I remember staying at my aunt's house during the summer one time when I was about 8 years old. There were 6 kids much older than I was and when they went to work, I was left alone with my aunt and uncle, who did not speak any English. Of course, I didn't speak any Chinese so this was a challenging time for me. I was a little lonely, bored, and scared but I had my books with me so I knew I would be alright. My aunt brought me in this huge tray full of hard candy that tasted like coconut so I was happy as I read the morning away. In the afternoon, she came and took my hand and made me go outside. I was a little confused until I heard the ice cream truck. With a huge smile on her face, she handed me some money and let me buy ice cream. When everyone came home from work, I realized that I had a wonderful day and it didn't matter that we couldn't speak each other's language, we still communicated!

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Now that is a wonderful sound memory!! I loved that story. Now I want ice cream!!

Unknown said...

That's a nice memory.

Unknown said...

Sometimes it is not what is spoken but what is done that provides the best communication. You have some really great memories there.