My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Saturday, August 11, 2007

A Rough Day in the Woods

(This photo was taken with my new camera!)

In order to get out of the heat, my hubby and I fled to the mountains. We decided to go up to Mt. Mitchell, NC and do some hiking. First we got up and went to the flea market so my hubby could buy some "treasures". We arrived at Mt. Mitchell in time to look at some beautiful views and have lunch. After lunch we decided to hike the 2 mile Commissary Ridge Trail (rated easy) and back. Well, the trail was an old logging road full of rocks and in full sun. I decided that we needed to get on the Camp Alice trail and hike the .5 mile strenuous uphill to get out of the sun. I thought when we got to the top, we could take the Old Mitchell trail back down to the car because I was worried that my hubby was not drinking enough and he was dripping with sweat. After a few minutes he let me know that he was pretty nauseous so I assumed he was experiencing some difficulty due to the heat and tried to encourage him to drink more. This made him a little grumpy but we continued slowly up the trail. Finally we reached the top only to find out that the trail kind of went up and down instead of all down like I had hoped. At least we were in the shade and hubby was drinking more. I noticed he was even looking better as we traveled down the trail. Thank goodness because thoughts of having to drag his butt out of the mountain was not thrilling me! When we were about 10 minutes from the car, I was attacked by yellow jackets behind my knee and above the ankle on the back of my leg. The bee got stuck in my sock and kept stinging me or there was more than one but whatever happened, there is a pretty big bite on the back of my leg. Of course I was worried about my allergies and having an allergic reaction so I immediately took the Allegra D that was in my pocket (I had forgotten to take it this morning) and when we got to the car, I took a benedryl too. Don even chewed up an aspirin into a paste and put it on the stings. Boy, was I sleepy all the way home. I could barely keep my eyes open at McDonalds for dinner. Of course by the time we got to our town, I was awake enough to eat freshly baked hot doughnuts! Now I am recuperating at home but I can't believe after 5 hours it still stings. All I can say is Ouch!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that you're recovering Pat and there was no lasting damage done. I know bee stings can be tricky if you're allergic. But doughnuts are always a good reviver.

Beachcomber said...

Ouch. I'm glad you are ok Pat. How scary. Take care.

mom2triplets04 said...

Ouch. Now that is scary. Glad you are feeling good and had your allergy medication with you.

*love2scrap* said...

so you escape the heat and hike. That wouldn't be my way of escaping :) Glad you are both doing well and love your butterfly photo!

Glynis said...

Sounds like an exciting weekend! Glad you're feeling better :)