My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Thursday, May 10, 2007

My Mom

Blog Prompt: Describe your relationship with your mom or a mother figure.

Growing up, I didn't like my mother. I loved her but I didn't like her. She was stricter than all my friend's moms. She was older than the other moms too. I didn't think she was beautiful like the other younger moms either. She yelled at me when I did wrong. She was home when I got home from school and knew everything I did and who I was with. All of the other kids in high school were drinking, smoking, dating since they were 12, having sex (so they said), and just having fun! I wasn't allowed to do any of those things. Can you imagine!

I was excited about going 800 miles away to college and getting away from my mom. I ended up writing to her almost every day for the four years I was in college and she saved all of those letters. I also called home every weekend for all four years too.

When I got married, my mother made my wedding gown and it was beautiful. I then found myself going to my mom for all sorts of advice. She helped me when I was angry with my children or when I was upset about life. I counted on all of the knowledge that I resented as a young girl.

When she passed away in 1989, I was devastated. I hope she knew how much I loved her. I didn't tell her enough or tell how much and wish I did. Even though we ended each phone call with saying I Love You, I wonder why I didn't say or do more. I hope everyone who has a mother doesn't just say the words but really show you mean it while you can.

3 comments:

carin.c said...

Funny how our points of view change once we become adults - you were lucky to have a strict caring Mom. Thanks for sharing. :)

*love2scrap* said...

that was so touching. My mom was an older mom, too. and old-fashioned. The kids in my class made fun of her but when I look back, they sure made some bad choices that I didn't dare make!

Unknown said...

Getting goosebumps just reading it. My mom and I have always gotten along, so I can't imagine it any other way. But it wasn't until my father died, that we started telling each other "I love you." Dad and I always told one another; but mom and I didn't feel the need to vocalize how we felt about one another. It feels strange sometimes, as I think she started to do it because she is thinking about her own mortality and I can't imagine a world without her in it.