My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day

Blog Prompt: How does your city celebrate this day or do you do anything special? Do you know anyone who has served in the military? If so, let us know so that we can honor all of those who serve their country.

For the first time, our neighboring town is hosting Freedom Weekend Aloft which is a hot air ball festival with rides, food, and concerts. We haven't gone yet but I'm hoping to talk my hubby into going. They expect around 50,000 people and he hates traffic, so I don't know if we will get to go.

This weekend we went to Bryson City, NC camping with 18 other friends. We did some hiking and sitting around the campfire. It was a wonderful way to celebrate the weekend. The weather was perfect too which is unusual for us since there are usually rain showers when we go there.

My father was in the Army and my father in law was in the Air Force during WWII, my cousin and brother in law were in the Army during the Vietnam War, and my husband was in the Navy during the Vietnam War. During the war my father in law was shot down and severely injured but survived. He lived for about 50 years with major things missing in his abdomen area and the doctors were never sure how he was still alive. I guess he just had a stubborn will to live. At least I know where my husband got his stubborness!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Camping sounds like so much fun and the weather here in Florida was wonderful this past weekend. I salute your family for their past sacrifices for our country.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend. We just stayed home and chilled.

I think during WWII it was the Army Air Corps instead of the Air Force though. My dad was in the AF as well and even though the Marines, Army and Navy will tell you they have the toughest personnel, they don't have anything on the AF.