My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Teenage Achievements/Mistakes

Blog Prompt: Moving on in life, as a teenager what do you feel were your greatest achievements and worse mistakes? Have these achievements and/or mistakes helped to make you a better person? Or did they hinder you as you proceeded into adulthood?

The greatest achievement I made (as I look back now, not as I saw it then) was being a good friend to others. I was always there to listen and be there for others. At the time I was lonely because I wasn't allowed to date and my parents were strict but as I look back now, I was the shoulder for both guys and girls to cry on, lean on when they needed help, or someone to depend on. I'm glad that I was there for them. I feel I was even instrumental in keeping a friend from committing suicide (which I didn't find out until 30 years later).

The biggest mistake I made was for always wishing for tomorrow to come. I always thought the future would be better than the here and now. I wish I had enjoyed the present at the time I was experiencing it. I try to tell teenagers today that same thing but like me, they weren't willing to believe that. I think this mistake though helped me achieve my goal of teaching. I was always striving hard to get good grades because I knew that without scholarships, I would never be able to go to college.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so true Pat. Even I recall a lot of future wishing instead of present living as a teeanager...I think though, it's just a natural thing. Kids are thinking about what they want to be and such, and really, who can sorta blame then ya know?

Glynis said...

That's great advice. And you still sound like you're a great friend...what a beautiful thing that is :)

*love2scrap* said...

we rush so much to grow up and then we spend the rest of our lives being a grown up... sigh...