My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Chores

Blog Prompt: Did you have specified chores as a child? If so, what were they? Were you given an allowance for completing them? How much? What chores did you feel were unfair? Which ones did you enjoy the most?

I remember that I had to make my bed and clean my room before I could go play. As I got older, it was my job to wash the dinner dishes, take out the trash, and feed the dog. Keep in mind that when I was teenager, I was the only child in the house so I got stuck with it all. I also had to walk the dog in the morning, when I got home from school, after dinner, and before I went to bed. On Saturdays I had to clean the bathroom, vaccuum and mop the basement, and dust all the furniture. When it snowed in the winter, I had to help shovel the driveway (boy, I don't miss that in South Carolina!). I didn't get an allowance but if I ever wanted anything or needed anything, my parents pretty much got me whatever it was. I learned early not to take advantage of this because I worried about how hard my dad worked. My older sisters would get me things if my parents could not afford to get it for me.

I hated doing all the chores and used to think I was like Cinderella. I used to think I was being abused and used as slave labor. I had to do all those chores before I could play with my friends or go anywhere and I thought that was not fair (until I had my own kids)! Obviously I did not enjoy any of them! I still hate cleaning the house!

12 years ago I hired a maid to clean my house every other week and just recently cancelled it because I retired. My house is much messier and dirtier than it ever was!

6 comments:

Tammy said...

I think not getting an allowence made you respect more of what you were doing and after growing up, I realized, my parents provided so much for us. And like you, I could ask for something and pretty much get if, if within reason of course.

Tina @ Sugar Bean Bakers said...

I think I need that maid you just let go. lol...

No, my house is normally pretty clean, I just HATE being the one that has to do it ;)

Stephani said...

Oh! You cancelled the maid! Now is the time to have a maid! LOL! LOL! Now that your retired you have to go the the spa and get manicures and sip on latte's all day! LOL! LOL! LOL!

I remember crying over the bathtub scrubbing with all my might for the third time to get it to my Mom's standards. LOL! I thought I was Cinderella too! LOL! Only you know my prince never came....hmmmmm! LOL! LOL! LOL!

Whitehorse14 said...

AWWWW poor you, the only one in the house and doing all the work....and then you let go of a housekeeper?????.......lol

hugs, Debs

Anonymous said...

My sister and I had to make our beds and then we had to make our two younger brothers beds. It used to make me so angry. But my mother used the excuse that they couldn't do a 'proper' job and if we didn't want to do it we could leave it... and she'd do it before she went to work. Well with a guilt trip like that there's no choice is there?

Unknown said...

You and me both. I really need to hire a maid to come in and pick up after the kids.