My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Childhood Collection

Blog Prompt: Did you collect anything as a child? Why or why not? What was the significance of your collection and where did you procure it? Do you still have any or all of the collection now?

I believe the only things I collected as a child were books. Books were my escape to worlds that I thought I would never get to see. Both of my parents valued education and I was expected to make all As with no excuses. My father worked in a Chinese restaurant and my mother never worked a day in her life. She didn't even know how to pay bills or drive a car but she loved to read. She was a clean freak so clutter was not encouraged but collecting books was allowed. My father had one day off each week and that day was spent grocery shopping and mowing the lawn or whatever else needed to be done so there was no money for extras but I had found the public library as a small child and this was my favorite place. When I was also allowed to join the book clubs at school, I thought I had hit the jackpot and my collection grew. When I went away to college, my parents sold the house and I have no idea what happened to the books. After I got married, I found out my hubby collects books too and we have boxes and boxes of books as well as shelves of books practically in every room except the kitchen and dining room. Maybe one day I will open a used book store!

6 comments:

Glynis said...

Can I come work for you?? :) I worked in a used book store during college...best job I ever had!

Whitehorse14 said...

Hey, that would be a wonderful thing to open up a used book store.

God bless, hugs Debs

ArcaneFaery said...

If I kept all my books I'd be able to go in partners with you! But I HAVE to purge every year or we'd be sleeping in the yard, lolz.

Stephani said...

That sounds great. Can I work for you too! I will work weekends! LOL!

I love books as well! It sounds like your parents were right on the money about books. Look at your NOW!!!!!

Unknown said...

Sounds like my house. We have one room devoted to our book collection; but you can find them all over the house (even the bathrooms). Maybe we should open a joint used book store. LOL

*love2scrap* said...

ahhh. yes... I didn't answer this prompt because I didn't think I collected things! How silly of me to forget about my huge collection of books!!!