My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Monday, June 25, 2007

After School Job

Blog Prompt: Did you have an after school job as a teenager? What kind of job was it? What were you paid? What is your best and worst memory of the job?

As soon as I was old enough, it was expected that I would work in the Chinese restaurant where my father was the maitre'd. Both of my older sisters worked there and so would I. Of course both of them understood Chinese and I didn't understand a word. I remember my middle sister even dating some of the waiters and I was so afraid my dad would fix me up with a guy who didn't speak English. I worked as a cashier and had real life training in giving change. There was no calculator that figured out the change and you had to count backwards to the amount given. Of course this went to the waiter who would catch any mistakes I made. I probably got paid an even number right above minimum wage because I believe I was paid in cash each night (which was probably under the table but what did I care at the time). I felt very awkward and had no self confidence so I truly hated the job every day I worked there, which I did 2 nights a week for 2 years. I even worked there the first summer I was home from college which was the motivation to get my own summer job 800 miles away near my college so I wouldn't have to do this every summer. I remember a cute guy coming in to pick up his take-out order and he asked me what time did I get off work. At that moment my dad was right there and said she gets off work when I tell her to and she goes home with me! Ahh, so much for romance.

3 comments:

Glynis said...

Dads can really kill the mood, huh? :) Great story!

Beachcomber said...

Great story!

Unknown said...

Poor guy. Was wonderful hearing about your job though.