My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Learning to Drive

Blog Prompt: Did you learn to drive when you were a teenager? Who taught you? If at school, what kind of driver's ed was it? If a friend or parent, where did you go to learn? What was the worse part about learning to drive?

I learned to drive when I was in 11th grade and my father taught me. My mother was the one that I drove around for practice but that was after my father taught me the basics. Even though my mother kept renewing her license, she never drove. I never saw her drive when she was alive. My parents did pay for a driving school to teach me how to parallel park because their nerves couldn't handle it. Then I took driver's ed my senior year because it gave us a discount on our insurance but I hated that class. My teacher always made me nervous and ridiculed me because I had my license already and he thought I would act like I knew everything. I hated driving and still do so if I can get out of it I do. My husband drives most of the time when we are together unless we are on a trip and I have to give him a rest. Of course I drive to work, the grocery store, library etc. but when I'm hiking with a group, I usually carpool.

The worst part about learning to drive was when I had a learner's permit at the same time I really liked this guy. He came home with me after school and then my mom and I drove him home later. As I was backing out of his driveway, he was waving to me (or so I thought) so I waved back just as I backed into a parked cement truck. Obviously he was not "waving to me" but instead was frantically trying to get me to stop. I was so embarrassed and never had much to do with him again.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh my goodness, I think we all have those little finder binder stories, but yours is a wee bit embaressing.

Anonymous said...

hahahah that's funny about the guy Pat. Did he ever bring it up to you whenever you'd see him around?

My mom tried to teach me to drive, but she drove a big cutlass, and I'm not cut out for that, no pun intended.....she wrecked my nerves something fierce!

Glynis said...

Great story...aren't we all a little oblivious when we're teenagers? !

*love2scrap* said...

wow - Oops!! how embarrassing!!!! I let my man drive as often as possible. I don't like his back seat driving with me.