My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Friday, June 22, 2007

My First Car

Blog Prompt: Did you have your own car as a teenager or did you have to use the family car? What kind was it? If a family car, were you responsible to pay for the gas when you used it? How often were you allowed to use it? What restrictions, if any, were on it? If your own, did you purchase it yourself or was it a gift? How much did it cost and who paid the insurance on it?
My sister bought a red four door Chevy Malibu, brand new in 1970. My sister died when I started tenth grade and my dad drove her car until I got my driver's license. My parents paid the insurance on it and I drove my mom around in it. In my senior year, I was allowed to drive my car sometimes but I hated to use gas because I knew how hard my dad worked and hated to be a burden on him. My mom would visit friends at night and I drove her there and picked her up when she was ready to come home but I was a homebody and didn't go out at night. I also wasn't allowed out after dark unless it was a church function. When I was in my second year of college, I was allowed to have a car on campus and my parents gave me that car. Sometime during college I had to have the engine rebuilt but other than that it was in perfect shape. I had that car when I got married in 1982 and we drove it for about 6 years after that before we ever bought a new car. That car was built like a tank and had a lot of sentimental value to me. It was really hard for me to sell it but after 18 years, it was time to move on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think many of us have one car in our lives that has special sentimental value to us Pat. That car sounds like it would have all the ingredients for a sentimental car.Starting with the fact that your sister first owned it. I hope you have a few photos of it.