My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Monday, June 11, 2007

How Prices Have Changed!

Blog Prompt: How about we start out this week with a little research by finding the cost of a week's subscription to a newspaper, a loaf of bread, a gallon of milk, a pound of chicken or ground beef, a gallon of gasoline, the average cost of a house, the average cost of an automobile and one item of your choosing when you were born, as well as at ages 3, 5, 10 and now.

1959
Newspaper:
Bread:$.20
Gallon of milk:$1.01
Lb. of ground beef:
Gallon of gas: $.25
House: $30,000
Car:$2,132
Postage stamp: $.04

1962
Newspaper:
Bread:$.20
Gallon of Milk:$.49
Lb. of ground beef:$.35
Gallon of gas: $.31
House: $18,200
Car:$2,500
Postal stamp: $.04

1964
Newspaper:
Bread:
Gallon of Milk:$.95
Lb. of ground beef:
Gallon of gas: $.30
House: $20,500
Car:
Postal stamp: $.05

1969
Newspaper:
Bread:
Gallon of Milk: $1.10
Lb. of ground beef:
Gallon of gas: $.35
House:$27,900
Car:
Postal stamp: $.06

2007
Newspaper: $.50
Bread: $2.29
Gallon of Milk: $2.99
Lb. of ground beef: $1. 93
Gallon of gas:$2.71
House: $150,000
Car: $25,000
Postal stamp: $.41

Those were the good old days!

Weekend news: We had a wonderful weekend in the Smokies! We went to see the synchronous fireflies which happens once a year and only 2 places in the US. Then on Friday we did a 10 mile round trip hike up Mt. LeConte (so I could get a new tshirt from the lodge and its only sold there so I have to go up there to get it!). On Saturday we were just lazy and had a cookout by the river and played in the river (aka wash the stink off!). I woke up very early Sunday morning and for an hour sat on a rock in the middle of the river and enjoyed the solitude and beauty of God's wonderful garden.

5 comments:

carin.c said...

Ohhh - I'm jealous about the fireflies... been thinking about it since you mentioned it some months ago - maybe next year I can get there!

Stephani said...

Oh my goodness! I can't imagine hiking 10 miles but I have to say it sounds totally wonderful. You know I did't know that fireflies exsisted anymore. How wonderful. I used to see them and catch them when I was little but I haven't seen one in years. Sounds like a GRREAT trip.

*love2scrap* said...

my kids have been out this whole week trying to capture enough fireflies to fill a jar so I can photograph them. sounds like a great time you had!

Anonymous said...

Hey Pat, I thought you'de retired from teaching. What's going on here???

Synchronous fireflies. Wow, I've never heard of them but they sound pretty special. Glad you had such a great weekend.

Unknown said...

It's interesting to see how prices have changed. And what a great weekend you had.