My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Monday, November 06, 2006

Manners

Blog Prompt: In your area/family, how do children address adults? (exp. Mr & Mrs Smith, Miss Becky, Becky, etc.)What manners do you stress in your family and which do you let slide? (This applies to adults, too, not just children).

When I was growing up, I was always expected to address adults as Mr. and Mrs. so-and-so. I learned while going to college in SC, that professors expected to be answered with Yes/No Ma'am or Yes/No Sir. When I got married and was raising children in SC, my husband insisted that the children answered with Yes/No Ma'am or Yes/No Sir because that is the way he was brought up. I use the same response with my students because I want them to treat me this way.

I guess most of the manners that were stressed were ones we were brought up with. My major beef is when people talk with food in their mouths. It drives me crazy! I can overlook almost anything except that. It totally grosses me out to see chewed food in someone's mouth. I'm getting yucky just thinking about it!

5 comments:

Glynis said...

Totally agree! I spent time in the South growing up and wish it didn't sound so 'funny' up here to say use Ma'am and Sir. It just works with a southern accent better than a Minnesota one like my kids' have!

Anonymous said...

Still working on the mouth thing here. With boys, they find it very amusing to play show and tell with their food.

Unknown said...

I agree although we are still working on them with the Princess and Indy.

Unknown said...

ah and i have all this to look forward to when i have kids! lol At school we always called teachers "miss" or "sir". Im glad your students address you in that manner. You deserve their respect.

carin.c said...

Doesn't work so well with a new York accent either! LOL! We are not known for our manners up here. It can be dog eat dog but for the most part people are friendly and mannerly when you get past the others!