My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Christmas without gifts

Blog Prompt: What if Christmas (or Chanakah, Kwanzaa, etc.) didn't require giving gifts? Would it still feel the same?

Absolutely. I love the feeling and spirit of Christmas all around. I love the excitement in the air and festive spirit that everyone has. I love the decorations, the parades, and the holiday clothes.

My family really doesn't give gifts to each other for Christmas anymore. My sister, who has lupus, lives far away and years ago asked that we not exchange gifts because it causes too much stress on her. My husband's parents have passed away and his sister and I exchange cards each year. We visit my parents each holiday season and usually pay for all of our meals during the visit so we really don't do a big gift thing.

My husband and I haven't exchanged gifts in years because he usually gets me whatever I want at the time I want it. Our philosophy is that life is too short so why wait until Christmas. What if something happened to us before Christmas and we would regret not giving something? So, we don't wait if we have the money to get what we want.

This holiday, we are taking my parents on a cruise since we had some money saved up. My hubby really wanted to go on a cruise and I really wanted to visit with my parents so we decided to combine the two "wants". Of course, we told them it was a Christmas and anniversary present or they wouldn't have come but we would have done it anyway.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

good attitude. I can't say that I could have the same feeling. For me it has always been about the kids and making them happy. They typically have to wait until Christmas to get what they want during the year and we build up to the morning.

Glynis said...

I think you've got a wonderful perspective on the Christmas thing...and what a wonderful gift you're giving to yourselves this year...have fun!!

Meg said...

Oh how fun! I can't wait to hear all about it!

My dh and I are the same way, we don't exchange gifts on Xmas, because we get things for each other all the time.

Anonymous said...

"life is too short so why wait until Christmas" Love it!!

Unknown said...

Excellent idea. Pretty much what Pan and I although we do reserve a few small things for Christmas that are "from" the grands, just to make them happy.

carin.c said...

I really don't need anything so I am happy not to do the gift thing with other adults. It really is about the kids. Love the cruise idea - perfect way to give memories to each other.