My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Communicating Online

Blog Prompt: Do you find it easier to "be yourself" when communicating online with people you've never met? And without being specific, do you belong to or visit many online communities, or just this one?

I am pretty much myself whether I'm online or if I meet someone face to face. One thing I really hate is talking on the phone. I would much rather communicate by email or AIM instead of the phone. I worry alot that I'm bothering the person that I'm talking to or sometimes I can't focus on the conversation because I'm such a visual person. I am the type of person who says the truth whether on line or in person and hope that others are that way too. I guess I'm naive that way and far too trusting (according to my husband!).

I used to be on a regular chat community when my hubby was working nights. It was a group that consisted of people over 40 who were happily married. There was no sexual comments and everyone was very friendly. I probably talked to them for about 2 years until the organizer of the chat room died of diabetes and then if fizzled out.

After that, I did the forums for a hiking group but they were much more experienced that me and I felt out of place. The next thing I entered were the forums for my worm group. I started worm composting for my garden and learned a lot from this group. Then I got kind of bored with the bulletin board but not the worms. I still have the worms.

Now I'm into this digital scrapbooking and I love it! I enjoy the forums and the chats at DSP. I don't join any other website because I can't keep up with all that I like at DSP so I'm just sticking with this one group. I'm starting to know people and recognize their names. This is a hobby where I'm learning new skills and I love learning! I hope to be involved with this for many years (especially since I will really retire soon!).

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I for one, am glad that I found you on this group. I love your honesty and directness.

Did I tell you Nuke moved to Hartsville?

Meg said...

Yay, we're glad to have you, too!

My dad does the worm farm thing too! He's trying to convince me I need to do that at my next home where we plan on having a big garden.

I'm surprised you don't have a hiking community you like though, it's such a big and important part of you life.

Glynis said...

I have absolutely LOVED getting to know you and I'm so glad that we all "found" each other on DSP! You seem like such a genuine, loving, down-to-earth person and I love reading your blog.

Unknown said...

Beats me how anyone can keep up with everything goind on at DSP! im a bit slack and tend to only visit our little scrapblog forum these days. ive really enjoyed getting to know all the gals here!

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, scrapbooking communities seem to be amongst the warmes and friendliest group I've come across. But keeping up with everything is really hard.