My World and Welcome to It!

These are my thoughts and opinions about life in general. I also get daily prompts from DSP which inspire me to write. If I throw in some scrapbook pages I've done, photos I've taken, and stories about me, you will have an idea about my loony life!

Monday, March 23, 2009

Beasts and Adventure Day 5 (Kansas)

Blog Prompt: What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts happens to man. All things are connected..." ~ Chief Seattle ~ Expand on this.

I think a lot about this when I’m hiking in the wild. I love to look around and see what kind of animals I can find. I will take time to stop to look at spiders, snails, insects, and even snakes. If we are very quiet, we might come across a deer and the gracefulness of the deer always makes me feel good inside. When we travel around the country, we like to stop at zoos and see what animals are different there than at our local zoo. When we hike in other states, we are aware of what local animals may be encountered on the trail. I like to think about their purpose is in the cycle of life. It never ceases to amaze me that everything has a purpose, no matter what size it may be.

Travel notes:

Topeka: went to the Topeka Zoo and the Brown vs. Board of Education National Historic Site. It was pretty interesting but lots of reading and videos.

Abilene – went to the Eisenhower Library (Museum was $8 per person but the Library and grounds were free) then The Hitching Post for lunch.

Heading towards Hutchinson, the winds were so strong that Don struggled to keep our little car on the road. We watched about 6 transfer trucks topple over on the interstate and other trucks fight to stay on the road. It was a pretty scary ride.

When we arrived in Hutchinson, I thought my car door would be ripped off when I got out of the car. We stopped by the Cosmosphere to pick up some combo tickets for the tour/activities tomorrow and got to meet Howie G. We will get to spend some time with him tomorrow. Then we went to the Polo Lounge for steaks and were thrilled when Lulubell (Ande) came there to meet us. We had a nice time visiting with her too. Luckily she followed us down the road and was able to let us know that we had a burned out tail light so we will need to find some place to get that repaired.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

OH Pat. I didn't know you were in Missouri. Loved seeing your pictures of my old stomping places. Union Station, the Zoo and Forest Park are great in St. Louis. My grandmother lived not too far from the zoo. Was fun when I was a kid. I've been over that St. Charles bridge many times and have seen the river come close to the bottom of it in flood season. Have a great time.

Unknown said...

I just love seeing all your pictures. But the one of the truck really is scary. I'm just glad you made to Hutchinson safely.

Watching the animals, even the tiny insects is so fascinating. Glad to hear you enjoy it too. :)